The world can be so cruel. People can be so mean. Sometimes it seems like I have an unpleasant encounter with someone every time I leave the house. It's exhausting. I often say, "people suck!". It's always so refreshing when I go somewhere and have a friendly conversation with a stranger or receive great customer service. It's a nice reminder that everybody isn't horrible. These experiences always put a smile on my face. Sometimes, I really need it.
We teach children to be kind to one another. And tell them to "treat people the way you want to be treated". But as adults, we don't always practice what we preach. At what age is it acceptable to stop being kind? Everyone has feelings.
One thing that makes me happy is brightening someone else's day. I love the feeling of being able to put a smile on somebody's face. You never know how others are truly feeling or what they are going through. A simple smile or compliment can mean so much to a person. It's so important to be kind to others, whether it's strangers or your loved ones. Let's start spreading kindness all over the world.
Here are 20 kind things that you can do to brighten somebody's day.
- Give a compliment
- Pay for somebody's meal or send lunch to their job
- Give a loved one a "just because" gift
- Send someone special a card in the mail
- Tell someone how grateful you are for them
- Hold the door for somebody
- Call a family member or friend that you haven't talked to in a while
- Leave your server a generous tip
- Take treats to work to share with your coworkers
- Write a love letter to your significant other
- Donate to a charity
- Give spare change to someone in need
- Let someone know how they inspire you
- Let someone go ahead of you in a busy line
- Send an inspirational message
- Visit an elderly family member
- Leave change in the vending machine
- Let someone go in front of you in traffic
- Listen while somebody vents
- Say "I love you."
Can you think of the last time someone unexpectedly brightened your day? Please share below.